News – August 7, 2020
WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
Cybersecurity means protecting the security of all in- formation stored and processed on computers and electronic devices
- Threats to information security include:
- Malware (infections from USB sticks)
- Phishing (mass emails designed to illegally obtain sensitive information from the recipient)
- Targeted attacks (‘hackers’)
- Easy to guess passwords (Uniteam123)
DOES IT AFFECT ME?
- Yes! Both as an individual and as an employee of Uniteam Marine
- As an employee you may use technology as part of your job:
- On board systems: ECDIS, Bridge PC, Loading system, Planned Maintenance System, Reefer Monitoring System
- Shore based systems: Email, Compas, Word, Excel
- As an individual you or your family may be using a mobile phone, tablet or laptop
- Skype, Viber and Facebook are cheap and convenient ways of staying in touch with family and friends
- Maybe you have an online bank account or buy products from Alibaba, eBay or Amazon
- Think about these risks:
- A piece of malware infects the on board ECDIS terminal during a voyage and no paper charts are stored on board
- A rogue engineer boards the ship to perform a scheduled upgrade of the VSAT antenna and instead opens a hidden communication channel to remotely monitor and control all systems on board
- Your passport, bank account and home address details are stolen as a result of a phishing email requesting you to verify your personal and bank account details
WHAT SHOULD I DO RIGHT NOW?
Stop and Think!
- Know your responsibilities when using company equipment and the impact these systems have on health, safety, security, the environment and our organization:
- Always follow working instructions
- Double-check the credentials of third-parties boarding the vessel or entering our offices to perform maintenance work
- Before using any computer, tablet or mobile phone be aware of the warning signs:
- Something looks different with the display (spelling mistakes, different layout)
- You are asked to do something which doesn’t feel right (entering information you have never been asked for before)
WHAT IS THE MARINE INDUSTRY AND UNITEAM MARINE DOING ABOUT THIS?
- The IMO has given shipowners and managers until January 2021 to incorporate cyber risk management into ship security
- Uniteam Group of Companies takes cyber security very seriously in all its business units
- Systems and procedures are being strengthened both on board and ashore
- Cybersecurity and technology skills will become a required competency to perform your job well
- During 2019 and 2020 this will become a very hot topic and one which we are ready to fully embrace!
Warren Gibbs, Head of Information Technology, Uniteam Global Business Services